Happy Bacon Day!
No not that kind of Bacon (don’t get too excited). Francis Bacon’s birthday. Which is just the occasion for a reprise of Chet Raymo’s post ‘Heaven’s Proclaim’ which highlights Francis Bacon’s ‘rules of scientific knowing’…
- Rely on reproducible quantitative observations that can be shared by believer and skeptic alike.
- Do not assume more when less will do.
- Do not invoke the supernatural when a natural explanation will suffice.
- Be willing to say "I don’t know."
- And, especially, be ready to admit "I was wrong."
(thanks Eileen for Science poster above)