Geoffrey James provides some silver lining perspective on even those less positive sales calls (that one doesn’t really want to “always be closing”) in his piece“5 Sales Setbacks That Are Actually Good News”…
- The prospect hangs up on your cold call. – Saves wasting time.
- The prospect says this is not a good time to talk. – Implies an interest and an invitation to call later.
- The prospect stands you up for a scheduled meeting. – Gives you a bit of upper hand.
- The prospect raises an objection to buying. – Proves that they are thinking about buying.
- The prospect says "there’s no budget for this." – Indicates that there is a need and likely budget somewhere else you can work to find (especially if going to a competitor).